WHAT IS AN AMERICORP VISTA?
AmeriCorps VISTA members make a year-long, full-time commitment to serve on a specific project at a nonprofit organization or public agency. They focus their efforts on building the organizational, administrative, and financial capacity of an organization so it can continue to serve the needs of the community once AmeriCorps VISTA’s support has ended.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF BECOMING A VISTA?
By serving, AmeriCorps VISTA members will have the opportunity to gain new skills, take on leadership roles, work with nonprofit organizations and government agencies dedicated to alleviating poverty, build professional networks, and get the satisfaction that comes from serving others.
- Living allowance of $11,796 per year before taxes ($983/month)
- Health coverage
- Life insurance
- Leave benefits – 10 personal days and 10 medical/sick days per year
- Student loan forbearance or deferment*
- Relocation allowance*
- Childcare assistance*
- SNAP/Food stamps* – overview of requirementsand online application
- One year of non-competitive eligibility for a federal government position
- $5,730 education award or $1,500 cash stipend